If you are helping your parents move, here are some tips on how to be more efficient and supportive to your loved ones as they go through these major life event. Listed below are downsizing tips to make the process easier and less stressful.
Tips To Help Seniors Downsize
- If you have spare time and your parent is willing, you can start decluttering even before a move is imminent. Decluttering at least 1 year before an actual move is a good idea.
- Shred confidential documents that you no longer need, throw away outdated food, or give away items that you no longer need.
- Ask a tax person about the records that you need to keep.
- Don’t stop decluttering until you begin sorting and packing for your move.
- Gather and keep important document.
- Keep the sorting and packing activities to two hours at most.
Where To Start
- Create a list for your move. Write down everything from your to do lists to other items that you’re most likely to forget.
- Find moving companies and ask for estimates.
- Set a date for the move.
- Create a template or floor plan for the move.
- Create a plan where you want your furniture to be placed.
- Hire a professional organizer if your budget allows.
- If you have pets, make advanced arrangements for their move.
- Refill any prescription medications in advance.
- Take care of the address change.
- Take care of your credit cards, bank accounts, voter’s registration, medicare, social security, subscriptions, car registrations
- Notify your family and friends
- Go through one room at a time
- Divide your things into four categories (definitely save, possibly save, donate or sell, discard)
- Use stickers or colored tags to indicate the categories
- Sort the items you want to give to others
- Reduce the number of kitchen items to bring to the new house
- Be patient and let your parent talk about their memories as you go through their possessions.
- Don’t go overboard when helping your parents sort their belongings.
- Ask friends or family members to help with packing
- Don’t forget to label the boxes according to the room where they need to go
- Boxes will be provided by moving companies
- Be sure to pack the boxes that need to be opened first.
- Pack the items that you need to keep close to you during the move.
- Discard items that should be discarded
- Give away items you want to donate.
- Sell items that need to be sold.
- Auction or sell furniture and other items.
- Give remaining items to charitable organizations
- Ask for a written contract from the moving company you’re working with.
- Set a firm time for the mover’s arrival on the new house.
- Check the list of your inventory
- Check your payment options (check or credit card)
- Assign a person who will meet the movers at the new house.
- Make sure all boxes are labeled properly.
- Open the open first boxes
- Be ready to unpack and organize your things for a few days.
Call Brunswick Organizing Solutions now and let our professional experts help you with your move.
Brunswick Organizing Solutions
Shallotte, NC 28470
Brunswick Organizing Solutions
Myrtle Beach, SC 29577
Leland, Wilmington, Shallotte, North Myrtle Beach, Myrtle Beach, Southport, Bolivia, St. James, Oak Island, Ocean Isle Beach, Sunset Beach, Carolina Shores, Calabash, Castle Hayne, Burgaw – Brunswick and Horry County