Whether you want to simplify your life or downsize your home, decluttering a whole house is a huge undertaking. The best way to get it done is to declutter in stages. You should focus on one space, one room, or one zone inside a room, finish the job first before you transfer to the next room. This will help you build confidence as you notice visible success at every step.
Fancy tools are not required during home organizing. But you do need to have five bins to serve five different reasons.
- Put away bin – for items that are not in their proper storage place.
- Recycle – for items that you have to recycle like glass, plastic, and paper.
- Repair – for items that you need to tinker like a pair of shoes.
- Trash – for items that you need to throw away.
- Donate – for items that you need to give to another person or a charitable organization.
If you don’t have bins, you can use cardboard boxes or baskets for this task. You have to take these bins with you into every room while you declutter or you can leave them in a space in your home that you can easily access.